Monday, May 03, 2010

Hachiko: A Dog's Story

I think I've finally found out how to post a You Tube video on this blog post.....hope this works! I found this particular video one of the best on the Hachiko movie. I've continued to mull over my feeling responses that were evoked by the movie, trying to understand what they are saying to me, how God uses my reactions to show me something about myself, and in this case about my relationship with Him. The background music for this clip is the song "I'll be right here waiting for you", an oldie that was hit in my younger days! Somehow it seemed so appropriate to the theme of the movie. As I brought my feelings to prayer, I recognized two levels of metaphor. First I saw Hachi's love and loyalty as a reflection (as in a mirror dimly) of God's love - a love I have experienced, yet long to experience in greater measure (Eph. 3: 14 - 20), a love that is unconditional, best seen in the love of the waiting Father in the parable of the Prodigal Son. This core love that reminds us what "Being the Beloved" means.

Secondly, the metaphor turned the other way round. I was reminded that as a recipient of God's love, as Hachi was of his master's love (as he got to know and love his master through lived experience) I would also in my lived relationship with God, be able to always wait upon God patiently, trustfully, even through passages of the dark night.....when He seems hidden, absent.....

In a way God speaks first and says, "I'll be right here waiting for you". (He shows me what it means to "Be the Beloved")

And in time, I am invited to respond likewise "I'll be right here waiting for you" (In my journey home, I learn to "Become the Beloved")

I believe this story will speak more to me in the coming days.....as I allow time for all these insights to reach down to the level of the heart....

No comments: