Thursday, May 06, 2010

Feelings as 'guests'

I notice have been in a 'feeling' mode these couple of weeks.....it would be tiring except that I am learning to name and accept the feelings without trying to repress or suppress those that seem not so pleasant. Even the tears that come up as a result of watching movies are a welcome thing, as they draw me deeper into self knowledge and thereby into openness to God's ways of getting my attention. Came across this excellent poem by Rumi, a Sufi mystic (13th century)
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thoughts, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
Today I was given the gift of laughter (though not the Pentecostal 'holy laughter') as I listened to a friend's family anecdotes. For that i am grateful to the Lord's simple provision, as last night I was sharing with someone that being a serious person, I ought to do more 'fun' things.

No comments: