Friday, April 30, 2010

Hachiko - a story of love and devotion

This week has been hard work for my tear ducts! But am very grateful for some wonderful ways the Lord can speak through different media. This time through film. I was told about a movie "Hachiko" by a dog lover friend who lent me a DVD. This is an American adaptation of a true Japanese tale about a loyal dog named Hachiko. This dog would accompany his master to see him off at the train station every morning and go back each afternoon to greet him on his return from work. One day, his master dies suddenly at work and never returns.........Hachiko returns to the same spot at the station every day for the next nine years to wait for his master. During his daily visits, Hachiko touches the lives of many who commute through the town square. He teaches the townspeople love, and undying devotion. Today a bronze statue of Hachiko sits at his waiting spot outside the Shibuya station in Japan as a permanent reminder of his love and devotion.
My first response was one of deep longing - as I saw the Hachi's faithful love as a 'visual metaphor' for the love God offers to each of us....He waits for us with patience and long suffering love - even when we stray far from home, from our true selves. I know I need to experience this love again and again - and live with the deep assurance that He "sees you beautiful in your weaknesses and limitations" (This phrase was spoken to me by my spiritual mentor a few days ago as I struggled with 'being the beloved').
Yesterday, though, I began to see the other side of the metaphor. We are invited to 'become the beloved'. I see Hachi showing us how we are to wait for our Master (God) - with loving devotion - to wait, even when He seems absent. For God, apart from being a present God is also hidden in some way - He is Mystery. We are able to return such love when we have experienced our Master's love and we have grown in intimacy with Him, as Hachi bonded with his Master over the years......
I felt much ministered to as I watched the movie and then brought the feelings and thoughts into dialogue with God. I am grateful - having two dogs and observing their unique ways of being devoted will continue to speak to me of the journey of the beloved..
(There are several short video clips of this movie on YouTube)

No comments: