Thursday, June 03, 2010

Gift of gratitude

Since last weekend, I have been graced with unexpected feelings of gratitude. Not all that commonplace for me because I usually see a glass as 'half empty' rather than 'half full'. I am more and more sure that these feelings are a grace, a gift, at least for the 'half empty' types like me. I had the fun of finding my way to the heart of KL with a friend to go to Borders - at Berjaya Times Square. At least now I know how to drive there - my friend was also unfamiliar with that part of the city so it was somewhat of an adventure...but I did some homework and read the Google maps first of course. Then a couple of days ago we went to Mid Valley, which I have not visited for over a year, I think. It was fun just to look at all the changes, and appreciate the creative displays and decorations, with no pressure at all to 'shop till you drop'. Maybe just enjoying such simple pleasures with a sense of wonder (a very different spirit from self indulgence) opens us up to God's gift of gratitude. It becomes a heartfelt simple joy, rather than any contrived and heavy duty to thank Him.
There are really too few places of wonder in our lives these days, more so living in the city in small houses and not much of the natural world to observe. But then we are invited to make do with what we have and as I found out, even trips to malls can be wonder filled if undertaken with a childlike spirit. But moving on from these experiences, I am asking the Lord to help me find gratitude even in the more mundane days - when it is mostly routine house chores, errands and maybe a clinic slot.....
Sometimes the two dogs are a help....just having them follow me around at home is actually quite amazing and gratifying. They usually find their place to settle down when I begin my desk work - Sabbath under my chair and Joy a short distance away. (I think there's some 'pack order' at work - because Joy never tries to get under the chair first) How faithful these furry creatures of God are; and how beautifully they remind me of the One who by far is ever faithful, ever constant in His presence and action.

No comments: