Thursday, May 13, 2010

Preparing for going home

It's been a week since a friend told me she has planned who she would like to speak at her wake and funeral services, and has informed them and also informed her family of some other details. May sound a little morbid at first thought, but then the practicality is great. After all we are all on this long, sometimes not too long, journey "Home", to the address where we came from and to which we return. In fact, into the welcoming embrace of a loving God.
I have kept these thoughts at the back of my mind all week and realize that I should be practical enough to make known, for the sake of my family members, certain things that I would wish done. In fact, last Sunday during service, i was flipping through the Methodist hymnal to identify appropriate hymns....
Yet, I have not got down to it; somehow there's a bit of 'denial' at work. This is not really helpful, for I find myself in a kind of solemn mood this week. Perhaps it's coupled with the fact that with menopause coming on, I now feel I am truly in my fifties......it seems to be a marker (undeniable, and very objective, this time) of reaching that 'age' where the human machinery starts to show signs of wear and tear. It is also the age where one realizes that there are things that one will probably never get to do, places one will never visit (except on TV!) ........At one time, I would have rushed to try to do some of these things - but now I am trying to accept my mortal and limited self with more gentleness. Why the rush? Why the need to grab the 'opportunities' of life, when God's presence and action can be found in everything? Sometimes, the 'drive' (a compulsion) to be faithful with our 'talents' leads to much seemingly successful activity but not many of the true 'offerings' that the Lord looks for- the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness and so on......

No comments: