Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hospital visit

Each time I go in to help in pastoral care at the hospital, I leave with several 'gifts'. Today was no different. First of all, I was truly encouraged by a woman who cares for both of her elderly parents (well into their eighties and having chronic illnesses and dementia) As the main caregiver - other siblings living overseas, it is a strain physically and emotionally, especially as she moved into this role immediately after retirement. As a second half of life new 'career', it must be difficult at times, to be so tied down to home, never going very far away and even taking on night shifts at her parents' bedsides. The gift was her cheerfulness and lack of self pity at such a 'burden' placed upon her. She sees her parents' good days as blessings, finds joy in their moments of childlikeness and this makes the more trying times a little easier.
Another woman, this time a patient shared a life transforming moment. When she was first diagnosed with a rare blood condition, she could not accept it and was totally miserable. However, one day, after much patient encouragement from medical staff, from family and friends, she came to realize that - all their caring would come to naught if she did not also learn to care for herself. That was a turning point and from then on began to appropriate self care in order to cooperate with the healing process.
One of my encounters left me with a different gift - that of further reflection, as in that conversation, I had to review my theological assumptions. This person spoke of the two realms 'natural' and 'supernatural' , about having faith and how God works above and beyond what medical science can do. He was praying for divine healing for a couple of rather serious medical conditions, although it seemed he would accept (non invasive) medical treatments. I found myself wondering how far I could resonate with him in my own more realistic outlook on such medical conditions. However, I prayed for him, in asking God for what he desired. I realize that listening with this person, some parallel process was happening - it brought me back to memories of my own grappling with illness and God's healing. How does one hold in tension the faith that God can heal - and the reality that He may not heal in every instance? Does one give up praying for healing, or does one continue to 'storm the heavens'? What is the posture one assumes? How does all this tie in with grateful and willing acceptance of all that God permits in our lives? These days, even the questions are gifts for they draw me towards our God of mystery, power and love.

No comments: