Friday, August 20, 2010

Season of illness (2)

The end of the week finds me well - something i am grateful for - the flu bug seems to have passed me by. But the past few days of my son's asthma has been tiring for me, if not also a tiresome interruption for him - during his break between semesters. The asthma did not seem to be improving and so yesterday i took him for a chest x ray. Thankfully this proved to be normal and the advice of the chest physician was to start him on oral steroids, in addition to the inhalers . This has helped him quite a bit, and there is a gradual improvement. After a full day's work today, i could feel myself really tired and a short nap after dinner was really helpful.
At this point of reviewing the week, i am asking the Lord for the grace of gratitude. On one level it has been rather trying and tiring. Yet through it all, the Lord has been around, sometimes seemingly in the background, but always there as a comforting presence. Not a genie to wave away everything difficult in a jiffy but a companion offering strength along life's way.
As i reflected i was reminded of the flowers that have bloomed in my garden. A friend gave me a cutting from a flowering creeper. After several months it is now blooming quite profusely, without much care except for water and some plant 'vitamins'. I will take a photo soon and 'share' its simple beauty!
O God of love, thank you for your daily providence, sometimes mysterious and not so 'welcome', yet always accompanied by your gift of presence. May i be more and more aware of your gifts.

No comments: