Tuesday, June 15, 2010

God in the mundane

This week I have more time at home to catch up on chores.....something I can get carried away doing! Very often I rush through just to get on to the 'real' parts of the day - reading or browsing through emails and other so called more 'significant' things.....But today I spent a couple of hours grooming Sabbath.......actually trimming her hair all over before giving her a bath! She was quite patient with me, and that helped a lot, but it took a long time because i used only a pair of scissors. Joy came into the bathroom time and again to check on us - but ran off when I brought the scissors near her. The job is well done and Sabs looks 'younger' and neater. Of course other chores were less pleasant and it was more difficult to take the attitude of actually enjoying them! But thankfully also, I met up with someone in the middle of the day and just being a companion was a great grace, as we listened for evidences of the Spirit in her life.
The football season has started.......and the three 'boys' in my house monopolise the TV during the matches....thankfully, I have the two 'girls' at my side!
I have yet to fully get used to this slower pace of life and work.......and feel truly liberated to do so. There are so many 'needs' around and especially in church. Yet the 'urgent' need not be the most 'important' as Nouwen wisely said. I was asked to consider taking on the chair of the counseling ministry next year - something I immediately declined - and was asked to 'pray about it'. I will be taking a few days off this weekend for a retreat on my own....first and foremost to hear more deeply the Voice that calls me, as all His creatures - 'beloved'.

No comments: