Friday, February 26, 2010

Holidays are 'holy days'

Really appreciated the public holiday today, as I had made a decision to stay home.
I am grateful for the slowing down today, for the week so far had seen me on the go from morn to night. A refreshing day, to attend to things in sl - ow - er motion and regain perspective on some concerns. No particular schedule to follow, a leisurely time for prayer, then back to the computer to put down some ideas for a session I'm involved in next weekend. This preparation has been piecemeal so far, as i have had little time to sit through a whole stretch to organize my thoughts on communal discernment.
Matthew 5: 20 - 26
Today the Lord reminds us of the sin of anger and how destructive it is to self and others. I believe all of us have our vulnerable points when it comes to anger. It might be a discipline this Lent to be aware of and work on the triggers. For me, rushing is one main trigger. Many feelings get stirred up when I find myself over committed - feeling sorry for myself, impatience with others, and such. So when I find myself in a hurry, trying to balance several things at once, and then someone says/does something I don't agree with, or slows me down, I easily fume and fuss, sometimes inwardly and sometimes with veiled sarcasm, yet probably enough to 'kill', for the Lord warns us that anger is in essence (non physical) murder!
Heed the danger signs. Be aware of the weak and vulnerable areas..........and strengthen them through prayer for help and personal discipline, for it is there the Evil One gains a foothold.

No comments: