Thursday, December 09, 2010

Jesus 'heals'

The account of Jesus healing blind Bartimaeus has levels of meaning when not seen in a merely literal way. I prayed this story the other day, and well, i am not physically blind. By God's grace i have the gift of sight and can still enjoy the visible wonders of the created order.
However, i was very aware as i prayed that in several areas my 'vision' is somewhat impaired. My perspective is often near sighted, narrow and leads me down the road to Jericho, where i can identify with Bartimaeus, who cries out repeatedly, "Lord, have mercy on me!"
"Yes, Lord, have mercy on me! For i am not able to 'see' your presence and action as i would like to. The world sometimes seems a bleak place, especially when i read the headline stories in the newspapers of people dying, mugged, raped, and every horror that is not only 'in the movies'. There are times when i am even unable to find You in my own 'story'......"
But what gave me much consolation was Bartimaeus' courage to name his need, his blindness and persist in crying out to Jesus. He could not see Jesus for himself but he trusted his senses that Jesus was near, and would somehow come through for him. His courage puts me to shame for there are times when i give in to the blindness of desolation too easily, far too easily.
As i too am healed of my blindness, i can feel the desire strengthen to 'follow Jesus on the way'......even as He heads to Jerusalem.

No comments: