Friday, November 26, 2010

What is your name?

Simon Peter was one of the disciples who went through a change of name, as the Lord called and affirmed him. I have heard it said that his name was changed from "Simon the taufoo" to "Peter the Rock". Apart from the laughs we get, it is a fairly accurate description. After all, Simon who was all bravado on the outside was actually trembling on the inside. He cut off a servant's ear as Jesus was arrested. Why not one of the soldiers'? And later his denials speak volumes about his real inner condition.
I believe we all have 'names' that the Lord gives us. What names does Jesus give me that express my role in his kingdom? What names does Jesus confer on me, as he did on Peter (you Satan; Matt. 16: 13 - 23) that reflect aspects of my life where I do not yet embrace God's ways?
During this reflection i came up with "Joy and Freedom" as my most authentic name, while i believe "Fear and Grief" reflect my 'need for redemption' name. I realize that these names reflect the ways i am most aligned and least aligned with God. They reflect the ways i am easily distracted and even tempted, often to desolation; and also the ways i can remain in consolation. Like the senior devil advises the junior devil in C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" the place to attack is where the humans are weak, especially if they are not aware of the weak point.
The encouraging thing is that Peter found his 'redemption', his failure did not define him for ever and he found reconciliation and was recommissioned (John 21). Yes, we are all persons in process, unfinished creations.....may we be malleable clay in our loving Potter's hands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lilian

You are also, 'Giver of Joy and love' to me.

Love
Oli

lilian koh said...

Dear Oli, Thank you so much dear friend - your laughter is spendidly infectious.