Saturday, June 14, 2008

Wise women

I was really fortunate to connect with an older sister in Christ the other day. I met her several years ago and we had talked a bit then, but lost touch subsequently. Not too long ago, her husband spoke at my church and I caught up with her again. Recently we had breakfast together. I very much wanted to know the challenges she faced as a mother of two sons (they are both grown now). Somehow, most of my other friends only have daughters!!
I wanted to hear first hand from one who is further along the journey of motherhood, and also a devoted Christian. As we spoke, I deeply appreciated her words of wisdom borne of experience, of trial and error, of also having listened to many other mothers. I have been feeling the transition as my sons grow and make their own choices. I have been trying to understand their needs and their interests. I have wondered over my younger son's not very promising results in light of the exams at the end of the year. Instead of asking for them to fit into my expectations I am learning to listen with my heart and to observe the direction they are moving. Mistakes will undoubtedly be made as much deep learning comes from that.
My friend encouraged me, "You're doing well....just continue to listen rather than impose your ideals upon them". I felt strengthened and empowered to continue the sacred task of motherhood. There is a truly need for 'wise women' in church - those who have lived out their Christian walk with faithfulness. They have lived their roles a wives, mothers, employees in the workforce with deep trust in the guiding hand of God. They are not perfect and have made their fair share of mistakes. But all those experiences have formed them more closely to the image of Christ. We do need role models who are willing to open their lives so that others may drink more deeply form the well of God's care. And those who have drunk deeply would one day be 'wise women' for their younger sisters.

No comments: