Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday of Easter week


Matthew 28: 8-15

So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them, "Greetings, " he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshipped him.

Yesterday we celebrated Easter with much joy in our churches. In the past, it seemed to me that the day of joy and jubilation may remain just that - a day where the church has special services, we invite our friends and have a great time, taking pride in a church event we have worked hard at. But how do we continue to live as 'Easter people'? Where and how do we find the risen Christ on the Mondays, and everydays of our lives?. In recent years, I have been using a devotional that has readings that accompany the church calendar. This week is called Easter week. In fact there are seven 'weeks of Easter' until Pentecost, on the fiftieth day. The readings for this week bring us back to Scripture that focuses on the resurrection appearances of Jesus. I know I need this. Yes, Christ is risen! But I need to be drawn back to the experiences of the disciples and women to whom Christ first appeared. I too need to meet the risen Christ in my life......I long to be joyfully surprised by his 'appearances' in the mundane and sometimes tiresome and ordinary days of life. Those times when my awareness and appreciation of the resurrection gets to be a little ragged.

I can resonate with the women. I believe that Christ has risen from the dead! I believe that as a follower of Jesus I will be given glimpses of the 'new' life that he holds out. Being human though, I do experience times of fear and anxiety about situations in my life and in the lives of loved ones. However, that fear is mixed with joy because I do know that Christ has overcome death! Yes, much of life is lived somewhere between anxiety and joy....and that's ok. Most significantly, I am learning that the Lord loves and accepts me just where I am on this journey of faith. It is the real me (not the one that tries to live up to the 'ideal') that he waits for each day as I enter the 'sacred space' of prayer. And once in a while....suddenly....when I am inwardly silent enough, I do hear him in the quiet whisper of his presence. When that happens I can only turn to him gratefully with my heart full of worship.

No comments: