Thursday, April 05, 2007

Holy Thursday



John 13: 1-17
Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you , you have no part with me".

Usually when we read this passage, we immediately focus on the "command" of the Lord in verses 14 and 15..."do as I have done for you". And rightly so, that we should aspire to follow Jesus' example of humble servanthood. However, I wonder if we are comfortable and ready to allow Jesus to wash our feet first....It is easy to identify with Peter, who said "You shall never wash my feet". Like Peter, I tend to think that I should be doing things for the Lord and not the other way around. Yet, isn't it also true that we can only imitate Jesus to the extent that we have first experienced and continue to experience him washing our feet? Jesus says, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me".

I am only able to love and serve like Jesus when I know firsthand and have experienced his humble and loving ministry in my life. To do this, I must continue to receive his "foot washing" for me...in particular for the "unredeemed" parts of myself, that need further cleansing and freeing from the bondage to sin and self. It is important that this experience not remain just a distant memory of the time when we first became Christians. In our lives of loving intimacy with the Lord, receiving his loving ministry is the very means by which we receive strength and freedom to move out and do likewise for others. We can serve others in the spirit of Christ only when we first allow ourselves to be served by our Lord and Master.

"Lord, like Peter, I am usually well intentioned when I rush out and try to do the things you have commanded. But many times I end up seeing people and situations through my own perspective and doing things in my own way. It may seem OK to others but in the silence of my own heart I know when I am not attuned to your presence in people and situations. And I remember then that I must return to you, my Source, my Beloved, to receive again your loving and humble ministry to me." Amen.



No comments: